Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day One.....Casualties? None

On the back of someone I met recently (Richard) who had started a 365 self-portrait journal, I decided to try something similar - a 365 day photo journal, not necessarily a self-portrait - just a wedge out of my life. One year...... (Please don't let this be the most boring year of my life, God)......

Let's see how it goes, huh?

Breakdown so far? Got married last year to my wonderful and remarkable Grant in Samoa - what a highlight, can't do it again this year I'm afraid. I have two children of my own and Grant has one of his who has come to live with us. Alex, my daughter, is about to turn 18 and embark on 'adulthood' - whatever that means. Adam, my son, is about to repeat year 10, repeat year 10 - that's right, he's going to repeat Year 10. Sam, Grant's son, has moved in with us and about to go into high school, new school, new area, new bed......new shampoo - he's in for an adventure living in our home, huh?

So how did Day 1 go? As part of moving Sam in, we're going through relics from yesterlife and ditching those that hold no meaning anymore to make more space. So that receipt for the first TV I bought from Myer for $439 in 1982 - incidently still living in our bedroom minus a knob or two (letting innuendo go by for now) - is going. Now ordinarily this receipt isn't really gonna make more space for Sam, but it's a beginning.

I'm a collector of clutter. I place emotional meaning to nearly everything I have ever bought - which is why I don't go grocery shopping. Apparently, it's emotionally uplifting going through old stuff and deeming them 'no longer relevant'. Not for this little stuffed bunny......!!
Do you know how many times I've held up items today and through a mist of tears said "You have no idea how much this means to me". Sure, they're my kids milk teeth but that necklace I was gonna make which seemed like quite a good idea a millenium ago just seems more Billy Bob/Angelina-esque now and no longer as attractive. Still, the act of ditching those tiny discoloured things was a little like detaching several little umbilical chords so go with me, here.
I'm on a self-imposed hiatus from doing my Masters of Financial Planning - picking it back up again this May. I am trying to work out how to fill the time in until them - housework is NOT an option. I'm gonna enrol in some Photography workshops/courses because, left to my own devices, I'll probably end up scratching at something inappropriate or digging up something explosive - you know that's my reality, right? Hence the 365 day journal.
So for now, Day One has had no casualties, no cauliflower and potato soup explosions, no accidental shaving off my eyebrow, no waxing accidents, no experimental TENS machining on anyone's testicles.....need I recount those moments? No, I didn't think so.

If this becomes boring, then it will be here purely to amuse me until my Masters in May......if you get a laugh out of it, then I'm a happy camper but remember, this is for 365 days. Not every day is going to be funny.....it invariably ever is. I'd also like to think that I can be totally honest and you will accept that from me.

I have no doubt that life will provide me with enough fodder this year to make it minutely interesting but I'm not intending on blowing out the truth to purely reach that expectation, okay? "WOW! The truth....." You say?? Mmmmmm, might try that out for a little while - it seems to have worked well for me this last few years.






2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year gorgeous! I'm glad to see you survived the celebrations! lol 2008 passed with such speed it seems all a bur. I guess it's better than a fart mark, yes? ~overtly cracking herself up~ As far as boring.. dahlink, there is never one ounce of boring in the life of Shazza Shaz... nope, not one. I will look forward to reading your journal and being inspired to write in my own. See.. you really are my muse, and inspiration. XO I am one lucky woman to have been blessed w/ your love and friendship. Thank you... love you... and am sooooo looking forward to the great things that will come our way in 2009!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - there is sure to be some laughs to look forward to as your life seems to attract all those wonderful mishaps that just dont seem to happen to anyone else. Looking forward to it
    Lee
    xx

    ReplyDelete