Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Goals and Microlighting - not to be used in the same sentence

As part of my ongoing desire to become a better human being, I've started my own self-imposed, self-directed self development program - albeit using a branded program that I shall keep nameless for fear of this being mistaken as some soft-sell vehicle.



Part of the program targets career enhancement etc etc but a huge part is applicable to my personal life and, after doing some initial groundwork, yesterday was the day that I started making actions to start putting things in place? Sound mysterious? Not really.



My goals for the next month are thus:


  • enrol in a photography course, which I have almost done - just waiting for fundage to hit my bank account and I will be starting in February.

  • start walking around the massive gardens near work at least 3 times a week - started that already.

  • do some regular charity work - have contacted the organisations I want to volunteer for and awaiting responses.

  • try to gain control of my increasingly short temper - have contacted the organisations I want to volunteer for and awaiting responses.........okay, okay - this one might take a bit of work......I'm only human.

I think, in life, it's easier to tread water than it is to start swimming forward - in my life anyway - and I want to achieve things. I want to do......I want to experience...... and thinking about these things is Part One of the process but I've decided to empower myself to take it to the next step.


Part of this process is to identify the usually stumbling blocks that make me such a brilliant procrastinator. I should have a PhD in "plausible and reasonable excuses". So.......no more excuses. Only reasons. Reasons why I have to do volunteer work. Reasons why I need/want to progress with my photography. Reasons why it's important to do some regular exercise out in the outdoors. I have all those reasons and I have thrown in some fairly focussed motivations to get these things done - including setting some tangible dates and times that I want it done by. Empowering!!


I like to think that I have the ability to evolve and to grow; to take that step outside of my comfort zone to see what lurks beyond; to challenge my abilities and, when I've regained consciousness, to know my limitations.


I'm toying with the idea of going microlighting. Que'est ce c'est 'microlighting'? It's one of those motorised combobulators that you hurl yourself off a cliff and ......it's hang-gliding with a motor thing. I'm currently researching the statistics of death by microlighting combobulators and will let you know if it's a "thumbs up"....or an "eh".

http://www.eagleschool.com.au/eagle_002.htm


Part of me is reassessing my mortality and the other part (you know....'other' Shaz - a topic for another entry later on, perhaps) is saying that it's risky, dangerous and could make Grant a widower, or worse, me a paraplegic. Actually, if truth be know'd, 'other Shaz' is saying "Do it, ya lilly-livered peckerhead" and it's Good Shaz that's saying "Think of the kids.....think of G".



No comments:

Post a Comment